Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Making a Megablitz Battlefield

 Hello all. Last week I took part in Tanksgiving, my friend's, Mike, Thanksgiving game day event. I decided to run a Megablitz game of Bastogne. Since I'm planning to run this game at a convention later. I decided to make a specialized game board for it. This was the first time I've tried such a thing. 


A Map of the battlefield based on John Tiller's "Bulge 44" game. 


I started by gluing foam core elevations to a 2" thick piece of insolation foam. BTW each square is 6". I play Megablitz with 6mm or 3mm minis so I usually don't need a large table top.

Next I used some spackle to smooth out the hills and started carving in some rivers. 

Next I painted the whole thing white and painted in the road network as well as some gray squares for the urban areas. I added sand and rocks to the river beds and painted them gray. I then added water effects and green foliage clusters. I patted down the clusters with white paint on a sponge. Below is the final result

The battle field on game day, with Bastogne in the middle. The whole thing fits in the back seat of my car. 

A closeup of Bastogne. The buildings are Pico 2mm.

A closeup of the village of Wiltz. This was the location of a large German bottleneck.

The map is still a work in progress. I want to paint the sides so they're not pink, as well as add more water effects to the rivers. Next post I'll go over the game itself. 



1 comment: