Thursday, December 22, 2022

Megablitz Bastogne

 I know I promised to post about this game a while ago but I had some computer problems. I played this game a while back. We had 4 players, 3 German and 1 American. Unfortunately, I was so busy both playing and teaching the game, all the players were new, that I didn't take any pictures of the game itself. Luckily, my friend Mike Baker had me covered. 

The German Forces. From left to right, we have the Panzer Lehr division, 26th Volksgrenadier division, and the my 12th panzer division standing in for the 2nd panzer division. 

The American forces. In the center is the 101st airborne. Just below them is some of the attached units. At the bottom left is CCR of the 10th armored division. 

The battlefield with Bastogne in the center 

The US units deployed around Bastogne. 


Me commanding the Veteran 2nd Panzer and Mark playing the commander of Panzer Lehr. While Mark's forces got bottled up at Wiltz due to the heavy woods and nearby river; I was starting to bypass the defenses at the North. You can also see the 26th VG moving up the road to Wiltz. This was just before they made a right turn and moved through the woods towards Bastogne. 

The fighting near Wiltz. The US player had aggressively pushed out CCR 10th to attack the German Panzers. This would defiantly cost him later. 

Game day 2, Bastogne finds itself surrounded on almost all side. We ended up calling it for the Germans. There was only a single regiment and some support units in Bastogne. CCR had pretty much been destroyed, meaning no mobile reserves to come to Bastogne's aid. The US had managed to inflect some causalities on Panzer Lehr and wiped out a regiment of the 26th when it decided to attack.

Over all it was a fun and successful game. While my new player made a few errors as they were still in a bit of a tactical mindset. Mark had put his recon stands at the back of his column and it took him a while to take advantage of his mobility. The American player for his part was a bit too lop sided with his defense, allowing me to get around it. Still they all did very well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment