Thursday, August 20, 2015

If a tree falls down on the table...

As I've been getting ready to do some FFT, I've realized that I had a decided shortage of 6mm trees. I had made some a few years back but I don't know were they've gone and they weren't to good either. Thus I decided to make some new trees using some idea's I got from Bish's 3mm blog, only supersized.

First I started with a humble penny and glued a drywall nail to it.


I then spray painted them ultra flat brown.


I then flocked the bases.

Looks like a forest of punji stakes. 

 Finally I added a clump of Woodland Scenic's Foliage Clusters. Note this is not to be confused with their clumped foliage, as this stuff is MUCH denser. I tried using the clumped stuff for a couple of trees but it didn't work out. I'll probably use the clumped foliage for the bush markers I'll need to make.


In all I was able to make about 48 trees. Which should give a few good woods.


I'm going to start working on my next modern unit this week. I'm also going to see if I can get Christian to try out Harpoon some time.

2 comments:

  1. Hot glue may be quicker and easier for the penny-to-nail attachment. Cool deal, James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep that in mind when I make some tree lines. I try to do some with wooden stands, but the nails came off before I even had a chance to paint them.

    ReplyDelete